This week was pretty good... Nothing too terribly exciting happened... Today we went to a different ward for church. It was a Cantonese branch in Tai Po (which is just one stop away on the train) Normally we have a 45 min commute to the Victoria branch and since we wanted to watch the game we decided to go to the ward that was closer. It turned out to be an awesome experience. There was a sister there that just got back from her mission in Oakland that translated the meeting into English for us, which was really cool. Everyone was really nice and welcoming, even though they didn't speak a lot of English. The counselor of the ward spoke a little English, and his son was currently on summer break, but about to go back to school in the states at BYU Idaho... When he found out I was from IF he was so excited... said he absolutely loved Rexburg... Weird. Really nice kid though. Anyway it was really awesome to see how the church is the same, even in Cantonese. :)
Our friends, the Jensen's, had their baby this week. We got to watch Sofi for a few hours when they left for the hospital. She's such a darling little girl. We took her to McDonald's where she informed us that "Aminals turn into food" and "... um... I love you." So cute. We went to visit little baby Lincon in the hospital. I got to hold him and it reminded me of how small Mylan was when he was born. It's amazing to think he was once that little. He sure is a little chunk of love now! Speaking of the boy, he's doing great! He has been teething a little bit the last week which has been rough, but he's growing up so fast and getting more adorable every day. He's been laughing a lot more, which is just the most adorable and heartwarming sound. He really is the light of our lives!
Last night Jordan watched Mylan while Tim and I went out on a date. We went to Dan Ryan's Chicago Grill, which is a really nice American restaurant. It even says on their menu, "WARNING... We serve American portions." Ha. We thought that was pretty funny. I had ribs and Tim had Pork Chops... It was delicious! Thanks Jordan for giving us a night out!
Well, you will all have the special treat of hearing from Tim tonight! We will now turn the time over to him.... Tim?
Hello everyone. Sorry I don't ever update this, but the things Janessa and most others find interesting enough to write about seem pretty standard to me. Just cause I've spent a lot of time here and am pretty used to what goes on out here. Mostly, I just go to work. The commute is always a hassle. There are so many people on the subway every morning and we always have to cram into the train cars. I work about 45 minutes away from our hotel in a place called Ngau (now) Tau Kok on the 32nd floor of a building. One of the best things about being out here is that I don't have to go into the office every day. I actually get the opportunity to go and meet with clients, not just talk over the phone. In Asia, they are a lot more accustomed to doing business face-to-face. That is one of the reasons the trip has been a success thus far. As Janessa has already blogged, I made a trip to Korea that was crazy busy, but also crazy successful. I arrived at 4:30 AM, got to the hotel at 6:30 AM, had to get up at 7:30 AM and then had back to back meetings all day. It was the same all 3 days, we didn't even have time to eat lunch, so we would get a sandwich from 7/11....Asian sandwiches....not the best. Then the last day there, we worked all day, and went straight from our last meeting to the airport, arriving back in our hotel in HK at 11:30 PM. We have 2 more trips planned: Tokyo and Seoul (again). Both trips are lining up to be basically the same as the first Korea trip, tiring and busy, but hopefully just as successful.
When I'm not working, I'm either at home with Janessa and the boy, or golfing....that's right golfing! I found a sweet place called City Links Golf. It is in a huge building on Hong Kong island. They have 4 Taylor Made brand simulators where you hit the ball into a huge screen. It is really accurate, cause it gets my slice all the time! It has 60+ courses that you can play. So far I've played Pebble Beach, Bay Hill, St. Andrews, and Princeville (Kauai). I actually got a membership there....unlimited golf for $50 bucks a month. Too bad I really only get to use it for 1 month.
I enjoy working out here, which is good cause there is a pretty decent chance we'll be back....someday. Obviously it is hard being away from family and some of the comforts of America, but we've adjusted well. It is also really hard being out here when football is starting! I'm glad that we will only be out here for 5 games. Next time, if there is a next time, I will be prepared and get a Slingbox or something. I feel out of the loop, which is no good cause our fantasy football draft is tomorrow.....so I'm gonna go do a few mock drafts to prep.
We miss you all and appreciate your support! I'll try to write at least once more before we head home in 6 weeks.
No comments:
Post a Comment