Sunday night we ate in. Jordan and Ruth cooked a beef stir fry that was delicious! We're going to try to do a lot more eating in. Rice is cheep and so are veggies from the markets... So we'll be eating lots of stir fry type dishes. Yesterday Ruth and I went to drop off our laundry and and check out the markets. One amazing thing about Hong Kong is the fruit and veggies here are amazing! I've never seen fruit like this before. So fresh and perfect. We bought a bunch to cook meals with. The women at the markets just loved Mylan! I wore him in the baby carrier on my chest today and everybody went crazy over him. I felt like a celebrity... Or like my baby was a celebrity rather. We got swarmed. It was funny at first but it got to the point that I couldn't do my shopping or even walk... Such a little ladies man already. :)
It was extremely hot and humid yesterday so after the adventure at the markets I was done. I've found myself taking a couple of showers or baths a day here. The humidity is like nothing I have felt before. A dip in the pool is nice too. Our hotel has great air conditioning... so that helps a lot!
Mylan is doing well. Last night he slept almost all night... which is such a relief because up until last night he was waking up several times. Last night was the first night I feel like I got pretty good sleep... I can finally get over the jet lag now. Hopefully he'll continue to sleep like he always does at home. We started Mylan on rice cereal a few days ago. His first spoonful he didn't quite know what to do... he kind of just let it sit on the edge of his tongue and lips... but he figured out what to do... So much fun. I can't wait to introduce him to more solid foods in the coming months! He's rolled over a few times since we've been here. It always takes him a few minutes to figure it out.
Tim's first day of work was on Monday. He's working on the 32nd floor of a building in Kowloon. Has a great view. He's loving working daytime hours. He's used to working from 4pm-1am so 9-5 is a completely new experience for him. And I'm loving having my husband home in the evening. We had dinner in again last night. Beef and broccoli stir fry this time. Yum. The hotel guest services here is awesome. They have been so great to us since we've been here... They don't speak a ton of English though and we've had some funny miscommunications with them... For example last night when we were cooking we called and asked if they could bring us up another pan... Instead they brought us a pen. Haha... Then we asked for another knife to cut up vegetables... and they brought us a butter knife wrapped elegantly in a napkin... They were so apologetic when they got it wrong and would bow to us... "so sorry." Pretty funny.
So things are good on this side of the world. Still pretty overwhelming... But especially after going out without Tim yesterday I feel a little bit more comfortable... Still need to figure out the best way to go out with the boy. Using the stroller by myself is a bit too much. Hong Kong is not very stroller accessible. But wearing him in the baby bjiornn gets so hot... Good for shorter trips. So I need to figure that out before I feel like I can get around the city by myself.
I hope all is well with everyone in the good old U.S. of A. Wish I could have been with my family yesterday for my Grandma's funeral. She was 93. What a life!
Peace out everyone. Till next time.
Posted some of the sights we've seen. Enjoy!
The Subway Station at rush hour.
Subway
Mong Kok. The most densely populated place in the world. Would this overwhelm you?
View of the city from the ferry.
This is the building the church owns... This is where we go to church!
1 comment:
Grandma's funeral was very nice. Helen was happy with it. Doug played twice and also spoke. Was a little emotional. Helen spoke too and did really well. There were a lot of people there, which is surprising when a woman has outlived her peers. Helen talked about you and Tim and Mylan coming to see Grandma just 2 days before she fell. It was her last wonderful day on earth. That's pretty cool. We all miss you. I want email and more pictures :) Glad you're getting out and about on your adventures.
Post a Comment